Dental Implants are modern times innovative methods for teeth replacement. The implants consist of the same basic parts as a natural tooth, a root, and a crown. The root implant secures the new tooth to the jawbone, providing firmness under the gums, while the crown is the portion above the gum line. The implants look, feel, and function very similar to natural teeth, making them the best replacement choice.
Dental Implants are artificial teeth held in place with titanium posts that are surgically inserted into the jawbone. These posts act as the root of the tooth. The artificial crown is then attached to the titanium post with an abutment.
How does the Dental Implants help?
At times, damage to the teeth may require only simple cosmetic solutions. If the tooth has a small chip or crack, a simple dental bonding will help. In case of more severe tooth damage due to decay, accidents, the tooth may have to be extracted. Whatever be the reason, if there is a gap in place of the missing tooth, it has to be covered up. These gaps can cause a shifting of the teeth leading to misalignments, or cavities can develop in the adjoining teeth. It is vital to fill these gaps, and dental implants offer one of the best replacement options.
What are the steps involved in Dental Implants?
The process begins with a consultation with your dentist. A full picture of your medical history is gathered before going ahead with the procedure. The implants can be simultaneously placed after the tooth removal, but some cases may require bone grafting before implant placement. If the jawbone lacks the mass needed to accept an implant, a bone grafting procedure can strengthen the area.
After a couple of months of healing, the implant surgery could be started. A titanium screw is fixed in the jawbone surgically. Local anesthesia is used to numb the area during the surgery. Once the implant has been fitted, the process of implant fusing to the bone begins. The implant is covered with the surrounding soft tissue to allow for complete fusion. It may take about three months to complete this step. Once the implant is totally fused to the bone, the final restoration takes place. An abutment is fixed on the implant, which connects it to a crown. The crown restores the size, color, and look of your appearance.
What are the merits of Dental Implants?
- The implants help preserve the structural integrity of the face. They not only preserve the original jawbone but also reduce the possibility of infections developing.
- It will improve your aesthetic appearance. They enhance the appearance of your smile as well as the jawline.
- The implant improves your ability to brush and floss regularly, which in turn improves overall oral health.
- They are solid and stable, which improves your ability to chew foods and talk comfortably.
- When a tooth is missing, the adjoining teeth start shifting into space, affecting your bite alignment.
- The implants do not need the support of neighboring teeth, as is the case with bridges and dentures.
Call us at Bray Family Dental Clinic or schedule an online appointment to know more about Dental Implants.